The Thames Explorer Trust runs a wide range of educational programmes along the Thames from Isleworth to Greenwich.
For our latest news please click here
What we do
• Education programmes all along the Thames for schools. We have nine Thames education venues from Greenwich in the east to Isleworth in the west where we deliver schools programmes.
• We run informal education for adults and children activities for families.
• A programme of popular archaeology foreshore walks exploring the archaeology of the Thames
• Training in Thames related river studies for teachers, schools, teacher training colleges and other groups.
• Produce a wide range of educational resources for schools.
• Run projects that improve understanding about and access to the River Thames and its tributaries.
• Organise and take part in Conferences and talks. We are members of many river and education related organisations including the Thames Learning Group, the Thames Estuary Partnership, the River Thames Alliance, the Thames Landscape Strategy, the National Association of Field Study Officers and London Environmental Education Forum.
• Provide information, consultancy and advice on river related matters and support for environmental education, community facilities, and charity management.
About Thames Explorer
The river Thames is the greatest of English rivers, rising in Thameshead in the Cotswolds and flowing for 344 km to the North Sea. The Thames Explorer Trust, founded in 1988 is an educational charity who promotes access to the Thames from source to sea. We provide activities to increase access to the river. Safety is paramount so we raise awareness of working beside rivers and to manage risk. With the Port of London Authority we are the authors of the Health and safety guidelines to the Thames foreshore. We work with many different Thames related bodies and have a role as an umbrella body bringing groups together to increase the educational potential of the Thames. The Trust is run by a management committee, who oversee the two full time staff, a team of freelance teachers and volunteers.